In this millennial era, people are starting to get more creative in creating food. There are variety of these creative foods out there and one of them is called Poke Bowl. You’ve probably heard it buzzing all around the social media or you live in an area where poke bowl business is growing. If you haven’t heard of it, then you have come to the right place.
So, what is this Poke Bowl anyway?
In Hawaiian, Poke means “to slice or cut”. This term refers to the chunks of raw, marinated fish (some place uses soft shell crab as the protein source), which are tossed over rice, topped with assorted vegetables and umami-packed sauces. It is a new generation of sushi and is customizable to your own suits.
Since Poke has found its way to the mainland, here is what in a classic tuna bowl of Poke:
1. Rice: Majority of Poke Bowl started with a base layer of rice. Some chain offers selection of jasmine rice, bamboo rice, sushi rice and brown rice. Low carb options are also available. Customers are able to choose choices like zucchini noodles and kelp salads.
2. Protein: Poke bowl’s protein are commonly fishes. Sushi-grade fish is the celebrity of the bowl. Yellowfin tuna is a regular choice. However, like rice, customers are served with other type of fishes. If you are not a raw fish enthusiast, look for options like tofu or cooked crab.
3. Toppings: Poke are topped with vegetables. Some chain offers customizable toppings.
4. Seasonings: The cubes of fish are mixed with scallions, sesame seeds and flakes of pink sea salt to enhance the flavour.
Don’t know where to find these Poke bowls? We got you covered. Below are lists of several chains that sells Poke Bowls:
1. The Fish Bowl, Petaling Jaya, Selangor
2. Nest: Workplace & Restaurant, The Curve, Damansara
3. The Fish Bowl at 1 Utama, Petaling Jaya, Selangor
4. Paperfish, Kuala Lumpur
5. The Fish Bowl at Pavilion, Kuala Lumpur
6. The Fish Bowl at Plaza Arkadia, Kuala Lumpur
- Nur Sahira Mohd Jailani adalah pelajar Fakulti Filem, Teater dan Animasi.
- Dr. Mohd Syuhaidi Abu Bakar adalah Pensyarah Kanan, Fakulti Filem, Teater dan Animasi.